CRUID,Welcome,back,Introduction,PLSQLIll,desc
Quick Search for:  in language:    
CRUID,Welcome,back,Introduction,PLSQLIll,desc
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
SQL Stats

Code: 31,327 lines
 Jobs: 372 postings

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for SQL.
Unix Date Convertor Function
By George Graff on 10/23

Insert pipe delimited rows into multiple rows.
By Charles Toepfer on 10/21

Logfiles by PL/SQL
By Stephan Rechberger on 10/21

To display a name in a default language if the given one doesn't exist
By Serge Alard on 10/18

Order by column except a few values
By Serge Alard on 10/18

Introduction to PL/SQL (Series 3) Cursors
By David Nishimoto on 10/14

Sorting a String using T-SQL
By Gaurav Pugalia on 10/12

Protecting against TSQL virii, worms and time bombs
By Joseph Gama on 10/11

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Get size in bytes of SP, View, Trigger, UDF or Rule
By Joseph Gama on 10/11

(Screen Shot)

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

Introduction to PL/SQL (series2)

Print
Email

Submitted on: 9/27/2002 6:53:11 PM
By: David Nishimoto 
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 1 Users
Compatibility:Oracle

Users have accessed this article 967 times.

(About the author)

Welcome back to Introduction to PL/SQL I'll be describing Select, Insert, Update, and Delete; all the CRUID about data manipulation.

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
David Nishimoto
Introduction to PL/SQL (series 2)
Insert,select,update,delete

Welcome back from last week. My story start on a hot July day. Remember we've setup camp and are starting to build our Oracle application. A semi cool breeze is flowing through the room on the twenty fifth floor. Its very hot and the sounds of cars driving by could be heard in the distance.

The Oracle DBA has given the developers a username, password, and instance name to connect to the new oracle instance, he has built. Racing to open SQL Plus, I enter in the username, password, and instance name as my finger rapid type out the security characters. All necessary SQL Net configurations have been setup prior to arrival on the development machines. There is a brief delay and a SQL prompt appears. At the SQL prompt, I'm excited and anticipating seeing the tables we've designed and the DBA has created. So I enter in the following command:

SQL> select * from tables;
employee
address
Cool, there my tables
Ok, I need to see the database fields.
SQL> DESCRIBE employee
	SQL Plus lists the field name, type, length, and data constraint info
SQL> DESCRIBE address
	SQL Plus lists the field name, type, length, and data constraint info

There is a very empowering feeling generated when realizing the data schema was ready for development. The tables created and configured to store data. The most efficient way to load an Oracle table is to use Oracle Loader. The scripts are simple and the tool transacts inserts using batch inserts. Its very fast. But before ramming the data into the tables, I needed to take a test drive first.

Insertion

How do we get data into the database? SQL has a very handy command called "insert". A safe way to use the insert command is the first type the field names and then type of the field values. Each field name must have a field value.

Here's a simple list of rules for inserting data:
	1. Single apostrophes in a string phrase must be replaced with double single apostrophes
	' -> ''
	2. Date Field values must be formated in the NLS_DATE format when using the
	TO_DATE function.
	3. Data must be the same data types
		a. character data can not be stored in a numeric field
SQL>Edit sql_script
	insert into employee(id,first,mi,last) values (1,'David','S','Nishimoto');
	insert into address(addressid, employeeid, street,city,state,zip,lastupdated) 
	value (1,1,'abc street','abc','ut',84404,TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'mm/dd/yyyy'));
SQL>@sql_script
SQL>1 row inserted
SQL>1 row inserted
Other Insert Patterns:
	Pattern 1: Insert-Select (records matching a selection criteria can be inserted into
	another a table with matching fields)
	insert into employee
	(
	id,
	first,
	mi,
	last
	)
	select 
	id,
	first,
	mi,
	last
	from
	employee_load
	where
	id<1000
	;

Selection

How do I view at my data? SQL Plus was originally a report generator. Its still possible to create a report using the SQL Plus command language. The power of a relational database comes from the design. Relational databases are designed to be easy to retrieve data. SQL itself represents a mathematic grammer representing insertions, unions, compliments of set theory. Don't worry things won't get that rigorous. However, there are some very comprehensive database theory books on the market. Here's something simple.

SQL>Set linesize 1000
SQL>Set pagesize 60
SQL> Column id heading 'Employee Id' format 999
SQL> Column last heading 'Last Name' format a40 truncate
SQL>select id, last from employee;
The output will be two headings: "Employee Id" and "Last Name" followed by another row
with the values 1 and Nishimoto formatted under the appropriate columns..
SQL Plus Commands
See http://www.listensoftware.com/sqlplus.html for a listing of SQL Plus commands.
Select Joins:
http://www.listensoftware.com/plsql_joins.htm
Other Selection Patterns:
	Pattern 1: In (equivalent to "and" criteria)
		select * from employee where last in('Nishimoto','Smith');
	Pattern 2: Between
		select * from employee where id between 1 and 5;
	Pattern 3: Exists
		select * from employee A
		where
		exists
		(
			select '' from address B
			where A.id=B.employeeid
		)
		Return all employee records which have an address record.
	Pattern 4: Not Exists
		select * from employee A
		where
		not exists
		(
			select '' from address B
			where A.id=B.employeeid
		)
		Return all employee records not having an address record.
	Pattern 5: And, or, not
		select * from employee where
		not (id=1);
		Return all employee records except one with an id of 1
		select a.first,a.last,b.city from employee A, address B
		where	a.id=b.employeeid;
		Return employee and address information where
		an employee has an address record.
	Pattern 6: In Subquery
		select * from employee where
		id in
		(
		select employeeid from address
		);
		Returns all employees with an address record	
	Pattern 7: Create a View
	Create view employee_vw as select * from employee;

Update

The update command is probably least most understood of the sql commands. First, I personally like to test a select statement with the criteria before using it in a update statement. Why? Should a mistake occur during execution or criteria creation, the rollback statement has the capability to reverse changes, assuming a commit has not occurred. The commit command moves temporary data to the physical database. Rollback reverse changes stored in the rollback segment.

Update provides a method to change field values in a table. Changes can be applied simulateous to all fields or a selection of fields and to all table rows or a selection of table rows. Note, an update field can receive only one value. However, this value can be returned by a select statement, function, or an literal.

Pattern 1: Field value being assigned a value by a sql
	Update Statistics set Visits = 
	(select COUNT(Patient_Id) from schedule 
	where as	
	billing_confirmed = 1 and schedule_date=#1/1/97#) 
	Pattern 2: Field value being assigned a value by a function
	Update employee set name=fncFullName(first,mi,last)
	where id<100;
	Pattern 3: Using the Exists Criteria
	Update employee A set hasAddressFlag=1
	where exists
	(
		select '' from address B
		where A.id=B.employeeid
	);
	Pattern 4: Update a view
	update employee_vw
	set first='Mr. David'
	where id=1;

Delete

The delete command remove records from a table. Delete moves records to the rollback segment enabling rollback capability. Performance improvements can be realized by using the truncate command to bypass the rollback segment. Truncate will permenantly delete the record and no rollback capability will exist.

Delete can only remove records from one table at a time.
	Pattern 1: where
		delete from employee
		where id=1
	Pattern 2: delete from a view
		delete from employee_vw
		where id=1

Commit and Rollback

SQL>Rollback 
Reverse update or delete changes to a table 	
SQL>Commit
Force the rollback segment to update the physical record blocks on the instance.

In summary, those July days turned into cold winter days. I worked from early in the morning until late at night; leaving the office building, I watch as families pass through busy intersections on my way to the car. It was late and the street was badly lite. I was anxious to return home to my family. It had been a good day and the application was coming along nicely. PL/SQL was really cool. I kept thinking about the power of SQL as I walk up the hill to my car and drove home. The man who designed and created sql was brilliant and it had made a profound connection with me. Next Week, I'll cover transaction processing.

Other 9 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Beginner category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | SQL Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.