Quick Search for:  in language:    
shell,real,will,boot,from,floppy,disk,written
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
Visual Basic Stats

Code: 3,011,557. lines
 Jobs: 115. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for Visual Basic.
Locate Database
By Erica Ziegler-Roberts on 6/30

Organize the errors of your programs
By Toni on 6/30

how to open and close access database
By Freebug on 6/29

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!PSC-Browser
By Ralph LONG Metz on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Quadratic Solver 2
By Guillaume Couture-Levesqu e on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Array Example
By Cold Fire on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Reconstructor 3.0
By Peter Scale on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Subtitles Manager
By KarahaNa on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

XPlorer
By ZProse on 6/29

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

A REAL Operating System - NOT A shell

Print
Email

Submitted on: 12/12/2002 6:32:48 PM
By: Coding Genius 
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 49 Users
Compatibility:VB 4.0 (32-bit), VB 5.0, VB 6.0

Users have accessed this article 11711 times.

(About the author)

This is not a shell! It is a real OS that will boot from a floppy disk! It is not written in Visual Basic but it does clear up all the mystery that ''newbies'' seem to have with Shell's and Operating Systems - yes you've all seen those ''not really an OS but a shell - OS'' submissions. Anyway, it's a good article I think. I spent a bit of time on it, and I hope you enjoy it :)

This article has accompanying files

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
<--[if !mso]> The Purpose <--[if gte mso 9]> <--[if gte mso 9]>

The Purpose

Although this article does not contain Visual Basic code, I would appreciate it if you did not flame me. It does provide some useful information and I believe is relevant to you as a programmer for the following two reasons:

- In the VB section I see far too many “Operating System” attempts by the new programmers – You know who you are. For those, I will try to explain exactly why Visual Basic can not be used to implement an operating system and I will also show you what the start of a real operating system looks like. Although you may not understand much of the technical information, you should by the end of this, have a clear idea of the difference between an operating system and a shell and also some of the functions performed by the operating system.

- For the experienced programmer who have never tried OS development before, this may prove an interesting read. With a deeper understanding of the underlying OS functions and the internal workings of the kernel, you may gain a deeper understanding of how software actually works within the context of an Operating System. With this knowledge you can increase your programming skills and better optimise your code.

Assembly Language

It would be a good advantage if you understood and could use assembly language but for those who don’t, here are some of the very basics:

Instruction/Op Code – The processor can only handle single tasks at a time such as adding two numbers or incrementing a value. Each of these is called an instruction or an op code. Each instruction takes up one byte in memory (although the operands add to this). This is how programs are stored in memory and each time the CPU clock ticks, the next instruction is fetched and executed by the processor.

Register – This is a small section of memory that resides on the actual Motherboard. The CPU uses registers to return values to programs; Programs can use them as temporary storage areas like variables and can also set values into registers in order to get certain instructions functioning as desired (like arguments/parameters). There are 4 main 32 bit
registers (eax, ebx, ecx, edx) which can be decomposed into the Low Word – lower 16 bits (ax, bx, cx, dx). Each of these 16 bit registers can be further decomposed into their Low and High byte (8 bit) registers (ah, al, bh, bl, ch, cl, dh, dl). Consider the following diagram of the eax, ax, ah and al registers.

<--[if gte vml 1]>

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []             eax = 32 bits

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []               ax = 16 bits

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] []                               ah = 8 bits

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] []        al = 8 bits

These are all stored within the eax register. So a change to the al register will also change ac and eax. A change to eax will change all of the above registers.

Mnemonic – A mnemonic is simply a friendly name for each instruction (see above). The instruction for adding a value to the bx register (see above), is 01 in hex (hexadecimal). We represent this in assembly language as ”add bx”. The mnemonic is “add” which is much easier to understand and program in than the hex version.

Assembler – The purpose of the assembler is to convert each instruction we write using a mnemonic, to the version that the CPU understands – Hex code.

Here is a small example of a program written in assembly language (note the semi colon used for commenting in assembly). The purpose of this program is to print all 256 ASCII characters to a console Window.

<--[if gte vml 1]>

mov dl, 0                               ;dl register = 0

Start: mov ah, 2                     ;ah register = 2 (start of loop too)

int 21h                          ;Software interrupt 21h (DOS Output)

inc dl                            ;Increment dl register by 1 (see note)

jnz Start                        ;When dl is 0, jump to Start

Ret                                        ;Return

Note about “inc dl” instruction: dl is a one byte (8 bit) register. When the inc instruction tries to increment it past 256, it will be 0 again. The conditional jump only goes back to the start when it is not 0. So once the program tries to increment it past 256, it will be set to 0 and thus not satisfy the conditional jump. The ret instruction is reached and execution ends.

In machine code (HEX) it looks like this:

<--[if gte vml 1]>

b2 00 b4 02 cd 21 fe c2 75 f8 c3

If you are very good like me (J) then you can convert that simple program without the use of an assembler. If you can’t though, then use an assembler (I included the small NASM assembler in the download). To assemble it, simple type the above code into a text editor (must be ASCII – That means no Word) , save it, and change the extension to .ASM. Place the ASM file in the same directory as the NASM assembler; open up a DOS console Window and type the following commands:

<--[if gte vml 1]>

CD

NASM –f bin .asm

REN .asm .com

.com

I think that is enough on the assembly language lesson. Now let us move on to the operating system stuff.

What is a Shell?

This is one of the main things I wanted to talk about. Like I said in the introduction, many “newbies” write small Shells in Visual Basic and then call them operating systems. Then they are surprised when they get flamed for misconception. I will explain here what a shell actually is then later what an operating system actually is.

So what is a Shell? Simply, a Shell is the interface between the user and the operating system that allows the user to easily use the functions of the operating system. A Shell is usually made up of some kind of
desktop that contains icons representing programs, documents and other files. The shell also provides some kind of explorer that allows the user to browse their partitions and drives, and the directories, files and programs within them. The shell usually contains some kind of control panel, which allows the user to configure the system in many ways.

Shells use the API library, which is part of the operating system, to do all of the things like accessing files and keyboard input. I have seen Shell’s written before in Visual Basic that attempt to create a file system. Of course they use the existing file system within the operating system and just make a large, memory consuming, slow, pointless file system that relies on the Operating Systems one anyway.

So what does an Operating System do?

Without a shell, an Operating System would just appear to the user as a black screen that appears to do nothing. The operating system runs in the background. The purpose of the shell is to display and interface on the screen, not the Operating System.

Most modern Operating Systems perform the following functions

Multi Tasking/Threading – Multi-tasking operating systems will decide which order to execute programs in and how much time should be given to each program before moving onto the next. It will give the illusion that all programs are running simultaneously

Memory Management – The operating system will make sure that applications may only write to their own address spaces, keep tabs on the amount of free memory and memory usage, and also make sure that nothing can overwrite the Operating System itself (in memory).

Hardware Input/Output – The Operating System is able to handle input and output to/from peripheral devices such as a keyboard, mouse or printer.

Parallel Processing – On computers with multiple parallel processors, the Operating System should decide how to share the load between each processor.

File System – The Operating System should use a method of storing files, directories, attributes and partitions. Examples of common file systems are FAT32, and the more recent NTFS.

The Operating System should provide a large set of functions that simplify all of the above and that programs can call. This is called an API library and includes functions, which perform operations such as reading keyboard/mouse input; drawing graphics; file operations etc.

So why can’t I write one in VB?

- Well for a start, Visual Basic has dependencies. Whenever you open a Visual Basic exe, it relies heavily on DLL files called the Visual Basic Runtime libraries. These Visual Basic Runtime libraries have huge dependencies on the Windows API and will run under Windows only. This is the reason why it is impossible to write an Operating System in Visual Basic.

- Another main reason is that Visual Basic is too high level. You try and read what the user types on the keyboard without the use of the API or text boxes or anything else. If you follow the rules, you will find it impossible to write in Visual Basic. To read the keyboard buffer you must set up Hardware interrupt handler for it. Inside this handler you write your input queue code. To set the handler you have to re program the PIC – another thing which is impossible to do in Visual Basic along. Once you even have that, you need to perform a assembler “in” instruction on port 0x60. You have no chance of doing this in VB.

So how do I write one?

Usually operating systems are written in straight assembly or, more commonly, Assembly and C (sometimes C++). At the very least you must know assembly. Some operating systems are written purely in C, but with inline assembly.

If you download the package you will find all the tools, source and binaries of a simple hello world operating system as well as full instructions as to how to get it to run. The boot loader isn’t mine and I can’t really explain it here but the kernel is mine and it is very simple so I can explain how it works.

Kernel.asm

<--[if gte vml 1]>

[bits 32]           ;Make our OS 32bit

SECTION .text

EXTERN _c_main ;Reference to our main function in the c code.

;Note that our function in C starts with an underscore (_)

;This is because when we compile our C file, functions are started with

;underscores. This is not so for ASM files though.

start:

call _c_main ;This calls our main function in the C file

jmp $ ;Freezes the computer because there’s nowhere else to go!

This is the first half of the kernel. The second half just writes to video memory to display some text. Study the code for yourself and you will see.

Finishing up

Well, I hope I don’t see any more “Operating System” submissions in the Visual Basic section which are actually Shells. Nor do I
wish to see any more shells that attempt to do some functions that the Operating system should do.

I hope you learned something about operating systems now and I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial. Don’t forget to leave your feedback and don’t forget to download the package J

winzip iconDownload article

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzipto decompress it.

Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses,but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them.

FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, PLEASE:
1)Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
2)NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
3)Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.

Other 51 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Advanced category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
12/12/2002 7:12:31 PM:Coding Genius
the formatting on PSC got very screwed up actually. If you download the ZIP it has a word version. remember to leabe plenty of feedback (and votes if you want). And remember to read the readme file! heh. If you still have problems then feel free to ask.
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

12/12/2002 7:20:14 PM:evil
nice job! (but you shold of put it in the C/C++ section because it has nothing to do with VB but is related to c/c++
Reason:

12/12/2002 7:20:36 PM:gridrun
heh :)
Reason:

12/12/2002 7:22:48 PM:Coding Genius
People in the C/C++ section don't post rubbishy shell's and call them OS' though ;). At least half of the point of this article is to show people that you can't make an OS in VB; the difference between an OS and a shell; and what a real OS looks like. If I post it in the C/C++ section then that will not stop the new VB programmers posting guff ''Operating Systems''. :)
Reason:

12/12/2002 7:24:54 PM:Coding Genius
I agree that it is not VB related...however I believe that posting it here would be the most productive place. I did mention this at the start. Thanks for your input anyway. Oh by the way, I really suggest reading the word version. When looking at it in IE (I use the Opera browser), the formatting appears even more messed up.
Reason:

12/12/2002 7:41:40 PM:CrashandBurn
Although I have only seen 1 person on PSC creating a
Reason:

12/12/2002 7:43:08 PM:CrashandBurn
got cut off... ...shell and calling it an OS, I must protest at your only blaming newbies for doing this (which alot of ppl seem to do). With regards to the article itself, it is very informative and I therefor, must thankyou wholeheartedly for posting it.
Reason:

12/12/2002 8:38:33 PM:Ralphy Boy
Great article. Very interesting
Reason:

12/12/2002 8:43:29 PM:JT Squirrel
MAKING SHELLS IS FUN!!!!!!!!
Reason:

12/12/2002 10:00:32 PM:
Nice job I learned from that I have always wondered how to make a OS now maybe I can do more with it who cares if it has to do with c and not vb I dont look at c/c++ stuff so I would have never seen this thanks again
Reason:

12/12/2002 10:28:31 PM:DopePope
In all fairness, the newbies don't make the shells and call them OSes because most the shells are more advanced that what newbies know. Secondly,in every
Reason:

12/12/2002 10:29:23 PM:DopePope
ok got cut off... Secondly,in every "VB OS" post there are 15,004 flames replying to the author about "this isnt a os noob, you cant make an os in vb, learn c++ blah blah." so posting this as a way to teach the newbies the difference between a shell and an OS is really just a post so you know how smart you are. 99.9% of all people that activly post and read the VB sections KNOW you cant make a OS in VB, but shells are always fun. Stay in your C++ section man, we don't need you guys in here all the time reminding us that your language is more powerfull than ours.
Reason:

12/12/2002 11:24:21 PM:
DopePope you think he made this whole explanation to brag about C++ and to flame newbies? I don't think so. He was trying to help them!
Reason:

12/13/2002 12:07:25 AM:
Great article!! This article made us know more on OS! Thanks!!
Reason:

12/13/2002 3:12:30 AM:Coding Genius
Actually Dope, I could send you the links to at least 10. And I have only seen 1 good shell. Most ''Operating Systems'' I have seen here are actually full screem forms with image boxes for icons and a very cheap looking start button form. And just for your information, go to the c/c++ section and search for my name. You will, if you are lucky, find one small submission I made when beginning. Compare that to my 46 submissions in the VB section. I've been here for over 3 and a half years now. So I don't know why you are reffering to me as ''one of you guys'' like I'm some kind of outcast from the VB section. I've probably been here way longer then you and made many more contributions. I knew there would be at least one person try to flame me about it containing no VB code.
Reason:

12/13/2002 3:15:03 AM:Coding Genius
If you forget the attatched OS which is for showing what a real one looks like, you will see it is an article that informs VB users the difference between an OS and a Shell, functions of an OS, and why you can't write one in VB...Also, I'm not trying to prove anything to you. If you think I submitt here to prove that I am in some way smart, then that's quite sad actually. It totally loses the whole spirit of PSC. By the way, I searched for your name DopePope: It wielded no results. So I do not think you are in any position here to flame me about posts.
Reason:

12/13/2002 3:19:55 AM:Coding Genius
Oh, and anybody advanced enough to create a GOOD shell, would be, I should hope, knowledgable enough about computers to label it as a shell and not an OS. Anyway, I want to disregard those ''This should be in the C section. Newbies don't post shells. There are no OS' posts on PSC'' comments and thank the people who made constructive ones. From now on I would rather see something about the article - anything missing? anything not fully explained? Any typos? Any wrong information? If any of you decide to flame me again: I reffer you to all of my above postings and ignore you, hoping the rest shall too.
Reason:

12/13/2002 3:22:34 AM:RegX
DopePope, why so mad? The point here is to learn. If you didn't learn anything from reading this read it again because you missed something. Also, you mention that VB is your langauge and are offended at someone pointing out that there are things that you can't do in VB why did you write it? Don't be offended, what langauge doesn't allow you to do things you can't do in VB? Anyway, I enjoyed reading the article. one more thing DopePope, this artical was not a personal attack on you as you make it sound but this post is so now you can vent.
Reason:

12/13/2002 4:09:33 AM:Mattias
Nice Work! I learnd alot! Thanks!
Reason:

12/13/2002 4:10:19 AM:Mattias
btw, i would love to see some more articels about making an OS...
Reason:

12/13/2002 5:16:08 AM:Gnome
So what if some of the article isn't directly about VB? It's trying to show some of the limitations of VB and so it belongs here. I thought it was a good and informative article.
Reason:

12/13/2002 6:44:14 AM:Danny Cain
Good article, very useful
Reason:

12/13/2002 7:07:11 AM:James
Well done very informative.
Reason:

12/13/2002 9:20:39 AM:LPChip
I still do not agree that this should've been posted here, as we cannot do anything with the zip. This should be posted in C/C++. But, you could have the story, as that is what this is about. Im sure that your code will only be used for the text, and not for the zip file.
Reason:

12/13/2002 9:47:45 AM:
Very informative article. Thanks for taking the time. Gets one interested in picking up another language. You also took a lot of the mystique away from creating an operating system and we can see just how involved it would be!
Reason:

12/13/2002 10:09:22 AM:BattleStorm
Awesome! I haven't seen anything this comprehensive since my Computer Internals class at college while earning my Associates Degree in Computer Programming. Very nice work even tho its not VB, but every programmer should read this to get a better understanding of computers. Frankly, most of these yahoos on here don't have a clue. This is definately a first step. Good job!
Reason:

12/13/2002 10:24:05 AM:
Stop whining about where it was posted. This is a very good article and it would not have been seen by me or I'm sure many other people, who actually benefitted from it, if it was in C/++ section. Thanks for posting! 5 globes from me.
Reason:

12/13/2002 11:13:17 AM:Mark Hunter
It's a wonder we havn't seen do us a favour here asking you to delete this sub. I think any programming is good, VB or not Thnks for taking the time, good article. I gave you 4 for content and 1 for balls. = 5
Reason:

12/13/2002 11:13:23 AM:Litehouse
Thanks for posting this genius! Maybe I'll play around a bit more with assembly when I have time...
Reason:

12/13/2002 11:16:11 AM:ORSHEE
I'm very interested in this article but recieveing this error while running MakeKernel.bat Error in DJGPP instalation Environment variable DJGPP is not defined.
Reason:

12/13/2002 1:06:51 PM:Ross Ylitalo
I agree that this was a good place to put this article. If it was in C/C++, for example, I would never have noticed it. This was a good article, which brings to bear some of the limitations of Visual Basic. Of course it is important to understand a tool's limitations in order to lay claim to proficiency with that tool! Thanks for the nice article, Ross
Reason:

12/13/2002 1:34:40 PM:Coding Genius
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's been an improvement since this morning. ORSHEE > Just including the GCC exe file will not properly compile the code. You must have the full version of GCC installed for it to work. If you look in the ''Binaries'' folder you will find all of the compiled code in flat binary format (.bin)
Reason:

12/13/2002 2:00:31 PM:Mirage-
Nice one, very informative. 5 from me!
Reason:

12/13/2002 2:31:44 PM:
Good stuff - 5 globes (got any more like this)?
Reason:

12/13/2002 3:10:08 PM:Espen D. Oboy
Is it really possibl to create a OS in pure C/C++? I thought it had to be created with assembler... Anyway assembler is faster, easier and more fun.... Great article... keep up the good work
Reason:

12/13/2002 4:06:07 PM:john sheridan
Thanks a lot for this post. This couldn't have come at a better time, because I'm helping my friend write an OS (its actually cool - he's making it all 3d-rendered) and I didn't really understand before I read this. :-P FIVE GLOBES!!!
Reason:

12/13/2002 4:21:47 PM:Coding Genius
Espen: Yes. C/C++ has inline assembly that you can put within an ''__asm {}'' block.
Reason:

12/13/2002 5:18:19 PM:
Go IRBMe! Finally, someone actually showing so called
Reason:

12/13/2002 5:19:30 PM:
ack.. another cut off.... Carrying on: VB OS Creators that it cannot be done.. and that they are not so |)amn good.. Good job ;) - v. informative ;)
Reason:

12/13/2002 7:20:12 PM:ORSHEE
It seems that time has come...When you find a boundarie you can cross, why not to cross it... Hope to see more of you, I'll keep in track.
Reason:

12/13/2002 9:16:50 PM:timecoder
This is really very informative reminder and you should never look at those who are trying to flame you on this cause they are just jeolous cause they can't get to the C/C++ level of understanding I always know C/C++ is superior and is the choice environment for lots of applications
Reason:

12/14/2002 2:05:55 AM:Gadget Ki
coding genius, I love your article, where can I download nasm? I understand why Assembler and C/C++ can make os with internal and external devices to run function on kernel, this is why Kernel is written in Assembler or C++. because Kernel is a Binary control without replying on library when the computer boot. and interested point, all applications softwares, printer, modem, and webcam are replying on libraries where they are required to share the library... monitor, motherboard, disk driver, keyboard, and mouse does not have library because they are owned on individual to read the binary and were written in Assembler or C/C++...
Reason:

12/14/2002 2:09:23 AM:Gadget Ki
however, please give me some comment or arguement or agreement with my theory, I agreed with coding genius. so I would appreicate it when you show me where can I get nasm assembler, thank you for much
Reason:

12/14/2002 4:29:42 AM:Mike Aubrey
Nice.... but I've never seen a shell claimed to be an OS... but then I've never searched for an OS in the VB section because it seemed absurd to attempt one, never thought impossible, nice article though.
Reason:

12/14/2002 4:34:18 AM:Mike Aubrey
Within a windows environment is there really much difference between VB and C?
Reason:

12/14/2002 4:42:39 AM:Mike Aubrey
Not talking about coding I mean durring runtime.
Reason:

12/14/2002 4:54:00 AM:Coding Genius
Gadget: It's included in the download (I hope). Mike, there is a huge difference between C++ and VB during runtime. VB makes several calls to its runtime libraries per second and is really slow. I timed VB in carrying out a specific function in a loop, then the exact same in C++. C++ did it over 13 times faster. Besides, it's not really what happens when it's compiled that's important: it's what the language itself can do. In this case, we use C++ because it does not need any external dependencies like runtime libs. And also it has the low level functionality of using pointers (we need to write to video memory - we do this by writing to it using a pointer)
Reason:

12/14/2002 5:30:08 AM:Mike Aubrey
Hmm, any suggested readings for learning C/C++? (Sorry if this is getting too off topic)
Reason:

12/14/2002 6:15:50 AM:Coding Genius
http://www.cprogramming.com/
Reason:

12/14/2002 8:38:15 PM:Ark
Hello guys! Some of you asking why this code wasn't upload to C/C++ area. This is because this area already contain same article with same code by Matt Carpenter: http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scr ipts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=4513&lngWId= 3 And CodingGenius even post comments there! Any credits to REAL author? All this article is not more than a link to C/C++ area! I don't vote it because PSC haven't negative votes! Regards Ark
Reason:

12/14/2002 10:15:29 PM:Ark
And back to code/article: 1. Source code/explanation provide NOT A REAL OS, but only first step of it - so called bootloader. A computer can't load an OS from the scratch because OSes are different. So it loads only one sector (a boot sector - a very first sector on the disk (both floppy and HDD). The code for boot sector is almost same for diffrenet OSes, you can find a lot of them over the NET (http://www.openbg.net/sto/os/implement/ boot.php for example). This boot sector continues loading of the REAL OS (kernel.bin in this sample). Check out [So what does an Operating System do] part of this article - kernel.bin doesn't perform ANY of defined operation. '...to be continued
Reason:

12/14/2002 10:17:08 PM:Ark
'part 2 2. Even for bootloader this code is very 'beginner' - it doesn't check many conditions. Anyway, original article is a good start for understanding boot process (assuming you're familiar with asm :)) 3. The most interesting and explanatory part of original code (description - 5K plain text) was trunkated. 4. <<With a deeper understanding of the underlying OS functions and the internal workings of the kernel, you may gain a deeper understanding of how software actually works within the context of an Operating System. With this knowledge you can increase your programming skills and better optimise your code.>> //Sorry for long citate// Please, show me at least ONE <<underlying OS function>> which allow me <<dipper understand... etc>> Best Regards Ark
Reason:

12/15/2002 7:01:42 AM:Coding Genius
1) If you would do some research before flaming authors, ''Ark'' you would see that I already told you the bootloader was NOT mine! As for the kernel...if you actually took the f'n time to LOOK you would see that the two are totally different. As for it not being a real OS, I also explained that it is the start of an OS! It's a f'n tutorial, ''mate''!, I don't think I want to spend 6 months writing a f'n multi-threaded microkernel for the purposes of a simple tutorial! ''Even for bootloader this code is very 'beginner''' Like I said already.....it's not my frikkin boot loader already. As for your last bit...I can't even friggin decipher your mutilated grammar and spelling. I will say this though...If you understand the functionality of operating system - you will most likely program better. It's a well known f'n fact! Now, back to that article in the C/C++ section.
Reason:

12/15/2002 7:02:37 AM:Coding Genius
Can you show me which fsck'n line of his article is identical to mine eh? On examining them they are 100% totally different. So next time ''regards ack'', LOOK!!!!! before flaming authors. Your lies are not welcome here - go find somewhere else to whine or get off your a$$ and do something worth while! See ya around ''ack'' no f'n regards - me!
Reason:

12/15/2002 7:11:05 AM:
''Ark'', You are such a f'n faggot, Maybe you should take some time learning to read before immediatley jumping in to flame authors eh? And maybe you should take some time in your posts so that we can actually READ and UNDERSTAND them!
Reason:

12/15/2002 7:11:40 AM:Coding Genius
yep, ''faggot'' was the word I was looking for. Thanks
Reason:

12/15/2002 9:01:43 AM:noKIa
Way Kewl, 5 Globes ^_^
Reason:

12/15/2002 10:05:04 AM:Irnchen
I coded an OS a while ago... You should add some functions to your code like get an input from the user. I think the easyiest way to do this is assembler, not c. Also you coded to much. You can make a boot code with about 30 lines of code. The
Reason:

12/15/2002 10:08:45 AM:Coding Genius
lol. How many times do I need to say I didn't make the boot loader. Anyway, as for getting input from the user etc....I don't want to complicate things too much. I just want to show what is the very basics. Anyway, I'm still trying to write a proper keyboard driver right now.
Reason:

12/15/2002 10:09:14 AM:Irnchen
"load program" part is very big. You could do it this way: move 02h into ah. move 4 into al (size of my kernel). move 2 into cl (sector pos of my kernel). move 0x1000 into bx. Then move bx into es and then move 0x00 into bx and call 13h.
Reason:

12/15/2002 6:48:57 PM:Ark
First of all, sorry for my poor English, it's not so brilliant as "f'n a$$" Coding Genius one. And as you see I discuss article, not him. To all other: just follow the link I provided. All asm staff was stolen without any credits to author. !!kernel is mine!! - just compare kernel.asm in both sources - even "THis" tipo is same! So, what we have in this article except of stolen code: [1.] Some common phrases about OS, Shell and assembly - you can find same in any "Shell/OS/Asm for dummies" article. [2.] A small bit of author's C code (output.c and its wrapper kernel_c.c) - not more then rewritten kernel_c.c from original - the only difference is caring /n flag for printf and clearing screen. And you think this is advanced staff???
Reason:

12/16/2002 4:27:59 AM:Warlox (§)
straight over my head i'm afraid - although a good article and detailed - 5 globes
Reason:

12/16/2002 5:29:05 AM:Paul Collingwood
Er, if its 'straight over your head' how do you know if it's 'good' and what level of detail there is on the subject?
Reason:

12/16/2002 7:30:02 AM:
One of the best articles I've read great work, all the 5 stars go to you!
Reason:

12/16/2002 11:23:07 AM:Coding Genius
Ark, go get a life you sad little f*ck. And again, LOOK at the kernels before lying. His Kernel_c.c is like, 10 lines. I have 2 source files, Kernel_c.c and output.c where output contains two functions, kprintf and kclearscreen. there is also the option of different colors of forecolor and backgroundcolor and also, if you compare the code for actually printing the screen, they are totally different. Now, again, get a f'n life you sad sad little f*ck. And thanks to the others who commented :)
Reason:

12/16/2002 11:56:58 AM:Coding Genius
to be fair, you're right about one thing: your English DOES suck.
Reason:

12/16/2002 12:42:18 PM:lenfocenter.com
Genius, great job! Although -- I do have one small suggestion. The best way to really infuriate a flamer is to pretend they do not exist. Don't stoop down to that level by wasting the time to reply. Simply know that the majority of us know and understand your reason for posting this great article and why it was posted in the VB section. Most of us can easily "read between the lines" and tell the facts from the phonies. Good job!
Reason:

12/16/2002 1:01:02 PM:{ pHroZeN GeeK }
nice and informative article... 5 rounds from me...
Reason:

12/16/2002 1:36:33 PM:Coding Genius
Thanks for the continued support guys :)
Reason:

12/16/2002 6:49:38 PM:
First, you have done a realy nice job! second, i made the download of the Djgpp,and i have some problems,when i run the Djgpp, it gives me this error: C:\djgpp\bin>ld -Ttext 0xFF800000 --oformat binary -o kernel.bin kernel.o kernel_c.o c:/djgpp/bin/ld.exe: target binary not found what should i do?
Reason:

12/16/2002 7:20:37 PM:Ark
I said what I said. Getting code without author permission and/or credits is at least not fair. This is my opinion. Nothing personal (though "Genius" should be more polite). You had a chance to edit your article and add credits to REAL author - you begun discuss my English and nick instead. Stay with your judgement and continue to steal another's codes. Good luck
Reason:

12/17/2002 2:25:26 AM:
Ark, I've checked the code on the link you posted, and I've checked this, and they are not the same, so stop with all this false flaming you are doing. Your threads are only to reduce the great quality of this great information, just to make your lousy digital image code pass this one, so be a good competitor and stop with all this childish whinning
Reason:

12/17/2002 3:37:02 AM:
sorry, but can you help me?at least,tell me how does ld work,ok?i have some problems in th ld command!what the hell,i´m doing wrong?
Reason:

12/17/2002 10:33:07 AM:Coding Genius
Guy with ld problem: the ''problem'' you are having is just normal. If you are reffering to ''Cannot find entry symbol'' which it looks like you are in your E-Mail, then that is normal. It should still compile since it is only a ''warning''. Other guy with no name (PSC bugs? :P), thanks for informing me! I never even realized that Ark was the guy below me in the coding contest! It's all clear now! Ark, how you like it if I come spreading lies about your code to put you down and beat you in the contest? You can't get any lower than that. It's just pathetic. Get a life please.
Reason:

12/17/2002 11:17:44 PM:Ark
To tell the truth I didn't want to send any more comments here. But I have to answer on your denunciations. 1. Just calculate globes at time I posted my first comment - at that time you was far from contest winners. 2. Check out other contest codes - I gave 5 globes to codes I like. 3. As you, I trace new submissions not at VB area only, but at C/ASP/Java too and I'm interesting in asm too. So I downloaded your code for my interest, not for flaming, but oops - I already saw same code! 4. To inform you - I already posted a message to PSC authorities asking to remove all my submissions (including Image processing) due to silly comments and plagarism. Just LAST question to "Genius" before they remove code - do you also consider that Image Processing code is "lousy"?
Reason:

12/18/2002 11:16:46 AM:Coding Genius
I don't know why you are teling me you are having your submissions removed. It's your private choice and I don't personally care. As for your question, image processing code can be good or bad. It is all down to the skill of the author. If you are talking about YOURS...I wouldn't know, I didn't download it.
Reason:

12/18/2002 4:38:01 PM:Bl4d3R33f
Hey, couldnt you use this code and make a shell in C++, or c and get this to load it? it would be way cool , 5 globes !!! ^_^
Reason:

12/18/2002 9:14:56 PM:CodeZoomer
doesn't work for me, but your short brief is ok.
Reason:

12/18/2002 10:25:48 PM:DefreHanoyk
No working with me too, but great ideas.
Reason:

12/19/2002 1:18:47 PM:Ackbar
I took the time to read what Ark had stated and I gotta agree with him. From what I'm seeing in that submission all you've done is rearrange the folder layout but other than that you just wripped off someone else's work and are taking complete credit for it. This is not cool at all.
Reason:

12/19/2002 10:42:08 PM:Ken
Good Golly, it took longer to read the comments than it did to read the article. Coding Genius, thanks for posting this well articulated piece of information. Though already familiar with the gist of it, it was nice to have such a well formulated refresher. Content feedback: you misspelled optimize (optimise). A procedural note: post it in the C/C++ section as well as in the VB section. All professional and aspiring professional coders should read this tutorial. I cannot understand how so many professional programmers write code every day without a fundamental understanding of the basic principles briefly outlined in your article. I would love to see another, more in depth, tutorial that explains some of the more technical aspects in greater detail. If you're interested I would be more than willing to assist in creating such tutorials. Again, thanks.
Reason:

12/19/2002 10:52:30 PM:Ken
For those of you who are really interested in the process of creating your own OSs using assembly and/or C/C++ you might want to visit the following website:"http://www.menuetos.org/". They have a completely self-contained OS that fits on a single 1.44MB floppy and includes support for displays up to 1280x1024, network, sound, multitasking, and a basic file system. If you look around on their website you will find the source code as well as links to C include libraries to write your own code to run in their OS. Enjoy.
Reason:

12/20/2002 5:03:06 PM:Ultimatum
I hate to say it, but it looks like Ark has a good point on this one... either way, this code is not efficient at all, although it's to-the-point. There are far easier ways to do it. Blah.
Reason:

12/21/2002 4:56:16 AM:Coding Genius
All I ask is that you open his C kernel and my C kernel and compare. You will find that they are quite different. I already told you that I do not take any credit for the boot loader. And besides, the download is just a very small example. It's the article which should be the main focus.
Reason:

12/24/2002 11:36:07 AM:ExcelBlue (Mark Lu)
Can a code that simple possibly be an OS that doesn't do anything except output text? I expected it to be about 500kb. Never thought that was so easy. Was so easy that a newbie in C/C++ can understand it. (I do more VB and some C/C++). How do you actually get this thing to work? It won't compile correctly.
Reason:

1/18/2003 11:48:45 PM:
how about putting some vb code to make a small shell and explain how & why each part requires the os making the code a shell. (so the half wits saying this does not belong can shove it up their *&^&)
Reason:

1/31/2003 8:48:54 PM:Matt Dibb
There are a few errors in places, e.g. the registers are on the CPU die, shells dont always have control panels, windows and explorer tools - I really couldn't believe someone who claims to know so much said this!! Just look at the text mode in Linux - you use BASH, aka Bourne Again SHell - yup all that writing is the shell (the kernel is centre of the OS, the inside of a nut, the shell goes around the kernel). Also, the instructions are not just stored in a single byte! It depends on the CPU and the opcode used, for example some only use a single bit! The microcontroller within the CPU knows how big each instruction should be and moves the program counter ahead enough; if each instruction really was a whole byte we would need A LOT more memory! But anyway, nice effort and hopefully it will educate some of the 'noobs', I am more concerned about all the people posting script kiddie tools however!
Reason:

1/31/2003 11:37:09 PM:Paul Guerra
Ok, now it's time to make a 32-bit OS with multitasking and multithreading ability.
Reason:

2/3/2003 5:54:39 PM:
all you need to do is build a striped down linux that can emulate enough of the windows api to fool the runtime and write your self a shell in vb and you would have your self a true... ly pointless project.
Reason:

2/12/2003 1:14:34 PM:
All u guys suck. go get a freakin life. writing code isn't the only great thing in the world. get a woman, move around , have some fun. and maybe the, u'd be better coders. freakinn geeks.
Reason:

2/16/2003 9:24:20 PM:
Can you send me the exe for nasm and the other programs. I think PSC removed it because I didn't get it. Please send it by e-mail at vilmer88@hotmail.com
Reason:

3/12/2003 8:28:59 PM:Tristan Wells
meh its not it vb, oh well ill just have to reinstall my c++ editor and assembly editor
Reason:

3/17/2003 4:53:28 AM:Daniel W. Elkins
Wow, very nice article, thanks! I'm only 16 and have only been programming for about 1 and a half years, and still haven't really come out of the VB hole just yet; just now starting to learn C#/C++, I found this article very motivating to do so. To the people who flame you for writing an excellent article, they should be recognized for their arrogance. "You posted this in the VB section and it's in C++/Assmb!" or "C++ is not better than VB!" Who really cares ? I've always been led to belive that it's not the compiler, it's the coder that determines the limitations to the applications; to a certain extent. But blatantly, there are just some things you can't do in VB. C#/C++, to my knowledge, has always been the universal language; because it can be compiled to run on numerous operating systems; not just Windows; which in itself, is a big advantage over VB...
Reason:

3/17/2003 4:53:49 AM:Daniel W. Elkins
I'm not trying to say one is better than the other; that's just silly; but instead trying to enlighten the people that think VB can do anything. Learning a variety of languages will always be the better choice. Anyway, very informative article, much appreciated. I look forward to seeing another one from you pertaining to OS development; you explained it clearly and very well. 5 globe thingies from me! :)
Reason:

3/20/2003 3:35:54 AM:Farolfo
Remove code, put on other language category
Reason:

3/20/2003 3:59:01 AM:Mike Canejo
I havn't been around PSC in a while, it's good to see your still active Coding Genius. Regarding "ARK"'s claim that you stole code,i don't think so. But the very least you can do is put a "Original Concept by Matt Carpenter" somewhere. I mean after all, it's not like you came up with the original concept of this First Step to a OS (bootloader), Matt did. If you wrote everything from scratch i'd say otherwise but some of it originated from matt. Still 5 globes, i like your documentation better than matts as well :)
Reason:

3/24/2003 6:13:51 PM:
Dear Coding Genius, When you write "These are all stored within the eax register. So a change to the al register will also change ac and eax. A change to eax will change all of the above registers", do you mean by "ac" in fact "ax" register? Bravo! well done! 5+ globes(last but not least..);-)
Reason:

3/24/2003 6:19:00 PM:Coding Genius
yeah you're right :P
Reason:

4/12/2003 9:18:20 PM:
I'm having this error message: Error in DJGPP instalation Environment variable DJGPP is not defined. And I didnt understand this that Coding Genius wrote about this error: Just including the GCC exe file will not properly compile the code. You must have the full version of GCC installed for it to work. If you look in the ''Binaries'' folder you will find all of the compiled code in flat binary format (.bin) I dont speak english very well, could someone help?
Reason:

5/17/2003 8:25:44 PM:Sarafraz Singh Johl
To the unknow above my post, how can someone help you learn english? :P
Reason:

5/19/2003 6:12:03 PM:poop_4_brains
haha! i have the most powerful language... 0101010100101010010101001010101010100101 0101, so there!
Reason:

5/22/2003 2:38:54 AM:
Does anyone know any other tutorials on this subject? I'm trying to do some more of this stuff. especially the ASM is very hard.
Reason:

6/4/2003 7:58:34 PM:
jeez all you people, i'm thirteen and i bet most of you guys are adults....what the hell...jeez, dont hate people, appreciate! nice job man! i mean like...how often does someone take the time to explain it to you?! =D good job!
Reason:

6/6/2003 1:47:01 AM:Richard Sullivan
hey coding. i haven't seen anyone comment on this, but i am getting errors when in compile certain things and i get "JLOC is unrecognized command". I have NASM and DJGPP installed but i dont know what JLOC is so i can't install it. I also get a "PARTCOPY is an unrecognized command" again i dont know what this is so i can't get it. if you do have links to these, please post them. thanks. BTW great code for learning 5 Globes.
Reason:

6/13/2003 5:50:06 AM:Simon Dann
this is great!! :D made me own 'simple' os ages ago but I oculdnt compile it -_- thx for the tools, and nice explenation :)
Reason:

6/23/2003 1:10:04 AM:
Everything was quitefyn BUT I always getthis error message: Error in DJGPP instalation Environment variable DJGPP is not defined. And I didnt understand this that Coding Genius wrote about this error: Just including the GCC exe file will not properly compile the code. You must have the full version of GCC installed for it to work. If you look in the ''Binaries'' folder you will find all of the compiled code in flat binary format (.bin) i really wanna try this one!!!! Please Help me!!! Whaaaaahhhhhhh!!! Where can i get this full version anyway!!!
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | Visual Basic Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.