Quick Search for:  in language:    
TIP,LAST,VOTE,everyone,great,here,dont,know,b
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
Visual Basic Stats

Code: 3,149,602. lines
 Jobs: 144. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

PDC 2003: Make the connection
Login

Latest Code Ticker for Visual Basic.
Click here to see a screenshot of this code!HistoryWriter Add-In V.1
By Zvonko Kostovski on 9/3

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Control Winamp
By Dennis Wollentin on 9/3

(Screen Shot)

Fake Virus Version 1.0
By C.J. Laing on 9/3

][String Encoder
By Andron Smth on 9/3

Font Catalog
By Bill Adams on 9/3

professional search
By Ziad Said on 9/3

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Drew's Meta Tag Generator
By Drew Phillips on 9/3

(Screen Shot)

Fast BruteForce Class
By §e7eN on 9/3

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Lotus Domino Exploit Scanner
By §e7eN on 9/3

(Screen Shot)

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

Hey, did you know? VERY Useful TIP

Print
Email

Submitted on: 6/6/2002 1:46:30 PM
By: Jeff D 
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 46 Users
Compatibility:VB 4.0 (32-bit), VB 5.0, VB 6.0

Users have accessed this article 5769 times.

(About the author)

Hey everyone. A great TIP here! I don't know if this has been brought up before (did a search but found nothing) it may even be in VB books - but some of you may not know this... Did you know that (in the code) you can right-mouse click over a particular procedure, function, word, method, event, any declared variable, etc... Then choosing "DEFINITION" from the menu selection will jump you to where it was declared or the code for it?! See screen shot for example of this. Then after you get there, right-mouse click again and choose LAST POSITION to jump back where you came from? How useful is this? Coulden't remember how something was declared? Need to check the code real quick for a function? You have several modules/forms/classes in your code?, etc... Give it a try (similar to highlighting something and pressing F1 for help) This may be a simple trick and many of you may already know this. But for those of you that don't, please VOTE. I think it's worth it. Comments are welcome.

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.
Hey everyone. A great TIP here! I don't know if this has been brought up before (did a search but found nothing) it may even be in VB books - but some of you may not know this... Did you know that (in the code) you can right-mouse click over a particular procedure, function, word, method, event, any declared variable, etc... Then choosing "DEFINITION" from the menu selection will jump you to where it was declared or the code for it?! See screen shot for example of this. Then after you get there, right-mouse click again and choose LAST POSITION to jump back where you came from? How useful is this? Coulden't remember how something was declared? Need to check the code real quick for a function? You have several modules/forms/classes in your code?, etc... Give it a try (similar to highlighting something and pressing F1 for help) This may be a simple trick and many of you may already know this. But for those of you that don't, please VOTE. I think it's worth it. Comments are welcome.

Other 3 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Beginner category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
6/6/2002 1:51:40 PM:Steve Dude
I didn't know that one. Thanks very much for the tip!
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

6/6/2002 1:53:38 PM:fl@sh
cool! i didn't know that
Reason:

6/6/2002 1:56:05 PM:Guttemberg Machado
Even better: When the cursor is over a variable, function, etc - SHIFT F2 will take you to the declaration. and CTRL SHIFT F2 will take you back to the position you were before...
Reason:

6/6/2002 2:02:31 PM:Jeff D
Works too...thanks
Reason:

6/6/2002 2:05:03 PM:Jeff D
I think whether you are more mouse oriented or keyboard oriented (F2..) as Guttemberg described, you can do either
Reason:

6/6/2002 2:41:06 PM:delTex
tnx. now i know.
Reason:

6/6/2002 2:50:39 PM:Greg De Haas
Knew already - use it all the time. Invaluable tip - it's great that so many people didn't know + found out now ! :)
Reason:

6/6/2002 2:54:23 PM:Braba
Good tip man.... popup menu, and the shortcut keys
Reason:

6/6/2002 3:06:45 PM:Jeff D
It will surely make moving around code so much easier and faster if you didn't know. For those that did know this, I'm hoping you learn something else you never thought you'd know or realize.
Reason:

6/6/2002 4:05:49 PM:East82
Been coding for about 4 years now and never knew this. I Should pay better attention to drop downs and pop ups! THANKS
Reason:

6/6/2002 4:32:14 PM:Jeff D
For compatibility, I put VB 4,5,& 6 but I guess it works for All VB versions including .NET, maybe even C++, and all Visual Studio products.
Reason:

6/6/2002 5:27:51 PM:Salvador
thanks for a useful tip ...
Reason:

6/6/2002 5:34:14 PM:Juha Söderqvist
what, so many you out there that didnt know right click and definition to see functions or var declarations..i could not code without that feature, i have always been using it..
Reason:

6/6/2002 6:24:35 PM:Christopher Young
Try Shift + F2 to go to the code. And Ctrl + Shift + F2 to go back.
Reason:

6/6/2002 8:55:38 PM:Alex
hold control and up arrow or down arrow an you will jump between functions
Reason:

6/6/2002 9:38:41 PM:Master_Kaos
Yes i have known this sonce 1 week after I started VB but i am glad you posted it to help out all the people who didnt. This is the best feature because it provides the fastest help with functions without opening MSDN. If i didnt know about this menu, I wouldn't be near as good as i am now since that is how i learn what functions do.
Reason:

6/6/2002 9:52:27 PM:Coyote
Well will somebody kick start my head. Been coding to long to tell.. and never knew or used this. This is really a time saver. Running VB5(sp3) and 6 and this works in both. Cool enough you get 5 from me!
Reason:

6/6/2002 10:58:56 PM:Jeff D
I'm glad to see some of you long-timers benefit from this tip. Once you do it for awail, it will become 2nd nature. Thanks for comments and votes.
Reason:

6/7/2002 12:13:11 AM:BIN LADEN
malaysia boleh
Reason:

6/7/2002 1:36:09 AM:Rob H
Same as everyone else. Thx works great
Reason:

6/7/2002 3:33:28 AM:John Priestley
Never knew it was there and I have been programming VB for over 4 years. Don't pay attention to popup menus. Thanx
Reason:

6/7/2002 4:08:15 AM:Sean le Grange
Thanx for sharing this cool tip. You got my vote.
Reason:

6/7/2002 7:31:36 AM:JoanCarles
another tric. in the VB IDE editor type <Control>+<space Bar> and see all available instrutions in VB
Reason:

6/7/2002 7:47:51 AM:Rob Loach
To answer your question, Yes. I did know about that.
Reason:

6/7/2002 7:55:31 AM:Tom Pydeski
learn something new every day.....
Reason:

6/7/2002 10:56:03 AM:Litehouse
I'm SO surprised that so many of you didn't know about this! WOW! Sometimes I have to do maintanance on other peoples code, and I would of gone CRAZY without this trick! It really saves tons of time, especially with large projects. Though, like others have mentioned, I use the <Shift> + <F2> and <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <F2> method. Even though I already knew about this, I'll give you 5 globes, 'cause it was in the appropriate beginners area and it helped so many! :)
Reason:

6/7/2002 12:44:43 PM:Falko Schwabe
I know this feature for 2 years. It's very useful.
Reason:

6/7/2002 1:24:11 PM:David Goben
You can also get to the definition using Shift+F2, and go back to a previous point using Ctrl+Shift+F2
Reason:

6/7/2002 7:06:53 PM:Linkin Parl
What planet are you on?
Reason:

6/7/2002 7:44:40 PM:Keith Weimer
Arggg! You mean all this time of opening code windows and looking for a procedure could be done with two simple mouse clicks or two simple key presses?!? I feel so dumb!
Reason:

6/8/2002 4:05:04 AM:Jing Polito
and maybe some of you dont know that the opposite of tab is shift+tab? hahahaha. When you highlight your code and pressed tab the selected characters will move forward while the shift+tab will move it backwards! just an addition...
Reason:

6/8/2002 5:50:35 AM:Dave Lambert
Don't forget you can also use bookmarks (make sure you've got the View|ToolBars|Edit toolbar visible) if you are moving between more than two areas of code. Clicking to the left of the code window inserts a break point. CTL+SHIFT+F9 will clear all breakpoints. And, you can also customise toolbars using drag and drop to include buttons that you like using. The VB IDE was also designed to be modified and enhanced by the users (us).
Reason:

6/9/2002 6:50:10 AM:Philip Jensen
wow, I'm suprised how many people don't know this? Some time ago I saw some one pointed the Tab blocks of code, feature. I mean, I thought all this was basic for most of the users. Anyway, I've written a small article on the tool, were the definition and last post is mentioned as well, see it here: http://www.planetsourcecode.com/v b/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=24623&l ngWId=1
Reason:

6/10/2002 11:26:02 PM:Dan F
I just wish they'd increase the ctrl+shift+f2 buffer size, I'm forever running out of c+s+f2's. And give a hotkey for bookmark navigation, that'd be sweet as. I gotta give this 5, looks like you've helped heaps of people here
Reason:

6/17/2002 2:05:27 AM:Peter Wilson
You've got to be kidding me! This is worth voting for?! How about you read the user manual, then type it all in here, and we'll vote for that too! This is very poor... so very, very poor.
Reason:

6/17/2002 9:15:29 AM:Jeff D
Peter, I'm sorry you feel that way; however, I must say that it's helped at least a dozen people or more and they are very glad this was posted - many of them I know develop great work.
Reason:

6/18/2002 3:06:13 AM:Charles Sollenberger
Great Tip. Thanx. To Peter Wilson, I have been programmimng for a few years now and didn#t know about this either. I was "forced" into progging without any prep time. The "Learning by doing" method. Later, I didn't have time to RTFB as the work piled up faster than I could program. These tips help many people out ther so please don't criticise so harshly. Thx. Chuck
Reason:

6/18/2002 9:02:40 AM:Jeff D
Chuck, thanks for the comment. I myself had to learn VB quickly a couple years ago - I would read books and articles to accomplish certain tasks (such as using DAO the very first time) pretty much did many things the same way too (as far as getting around the VB GUI & environment) Surely, these tips do help when you really don't have time to read every page in the "VB manual". Everybody knows that anything that can help anybody should be posted whether basic tip or advanced application.
Reason:

6/19/2002 1:40:23 AM:Mohan
another useful tip : use CTRL + j to list all the methods,functions etc
Reason:

7/2/2002 2:41:38 AM:[-LøL-]
Hmmm Nice... I will give u its average vote...
Reason:

10/11/2002 10:11:55 AM:Alan Carstens
For all you oaks that didn't know, what the hell is VB doing on you machine :)
Reason:

10/20/2002 3:19:45 PM:jamsmith
I thank the writer for enlightening me about this great time-saver. To the negative commenters: Being a "VB" expert don't mean squat, it's what you can do with the tool. Many of us were expert programmers who learned VB without a book and know things you couldn't image.
Reason:

1/22/2003 7:28:00 PM:
He says it pretty well: "6/6/2002 2:50:39 PM:Greg De Haas Knew already - use it all the time. Invaluable tip - it's great that so many people didn't know + found out now ! :) " it doesnt give some defs, like in directx theres no help at all :(
Reason:

7/19/2003 3:00:23 PM:
thanks for the tip! VERY useful :)
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | Visual Basic Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.