Quick Search for:  in language:    
OCX,tutorial,will,teach,basics,winsock,contro
   Code/Articles » |  Newest/Best » |  Community » |  Jobs » |  Other » |  Goto » | 
CategoriesSearch Newest CodeCoding ContestCode of the DayAsk A ProJobsUpload
Visual Basic Stats

Code: 3,011,557. lines
 Jobs: 115. postings

How to support the site

Sponsored by:

You are in:

Login

Latest Code Ticker for Visual Basic.
Locate Database
By Erica Ziegler-Roberts on 6/30

Organize the errors of your programs
By Toni on 6/30

how to open and close access database
By Freebug on 6/29

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!PSC-Browser
By Ralph LONG Metz on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Quadratic Solver 2
By Guillaume Couture-Levesqu e on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Array Example
By Cold Fire on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Reconstructor 3.0
By Peter Scale on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

Click here to see a screenshot of this code!Subtitles Manager
By KarahaNa on 6/29

(Screen Shot)

XPlorer
By ZProse on 6/29

Click here to put this ticker on your site!

Add this ticker to your desktop!

Daily Code Email
To join the 'Code of the Day' Mailing List click here!

Affiliate Sites

__Simple Winsock Tutorial__

Print
Email

Submitted on: 1/5/2002 12:42:24 AM
By: Matt Carpenter 
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 80 Users
Compatibility:VB 6.0

Users have accessed this article 36795 times.

(About the author)

This tutorial will teach you the basics of winsock (the winsock OCX control). How to connect to computers, how to be a server, sending and getting data. If you like this, Please vote for me ;)

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this article, you agree to the following terms...   
1) You may use this article in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.   
2) You MAY NOT redistribute this article (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
3) You may link to this article from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
4) You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the article or article's description.

.::Simple Winsock Tutorial ::.
-From the author of 'Simple Direct3d Tutorial w/ source' on PSC!

This tutorial will teach you how to use the Winsock control to make chat programs, multiplayer games, email checkers, and anything else that uses Winsock!

Winsock is a communications 'thingy' that lets you communicate with other computers via network/internet. Using TCP/IP or UDP protocols, you can send data from one computer to another.  We will be using the Winsock control with visual basic. First, open up visual basic, then add the Winsock Control. I also assume that you know what a port is...

Add one to your form.  Now, make 2 command buttons. Label one 'Connect' and the other 'Host'. 
Under the 'connect' button, add the following code:

Host = inputbox("Enter the host's computer name or ip address:")
Port = inputbox("Enter the host's port to connect to:")
Winsock1.connect host, port

That code let you specify the host computers name/ip address, and the port to connect to on it. Now, add the following code to the 'Host' button.

Port = inputbox("What port do you want to host on?")
Winsock1.localport = Port
Winsock1.Listen

If you were to click the 'host' button, it would activate the server and wait for somebody to try to connect.

Now, double click the Winsock control and go to the sub 'winsock1_ConnectionRequest'. Under that ' , put this code.

if winsock1.state <> sckclosed then winsock1.close  'Got to do this to make sure the Winsock control isn't already being used.
winsock1.accept RequestID

That code simply let the client connect. Now, add a 3rd button to the form and call it 'Send'. Under it, add this code.

Text = inputbox("Send what text?")
winsock1.senddata text

When you click that, it sends data to the other computer, no matter if you are the host or the client. You need a way to receive this data on both, so double click the Winsock control, then go to the 'winsock1_RecieveData' sub (or something like that). Put in this code.

winsock1.getdata(data,vbstring,bytestotal)
or is it winsock1.getdata data,vbstring,bytestotal? I think I might be mixing c++ syntax w/ visual basic :-/
msgbox Data

This displays the data that the other user sent you.  

I guess I really didn't go in depth with this article, but it is all REALLY simple. Maybe you want to send player coordinates if you are making a multiplayer game, or send messages if it's a chat program that you want to make. Doesn't really matter.

To test this program, compile it, then open 2 instances of it. in one, click the 'host' button and enter the port 100 (Ju ' st because. You could do any port you want (1 to 1000 or higher!))
In the other one, click 'Connect' Then type in 'Localhost' for the server, and the port should be, guess what, 100! 
This will create a loop, and you will connect to your self. On one of the instances, click send, then type in a message. No, don't just type in any message, type 'Hello World!'. How original is that? Click OK, then a message box from the other instance should pop up with the same message. You could also use 127.0.0.1 for the host instead of Localhost, because that is the same thing as Localhost, only in an IP address.  
I guess this doesn't TEACH you how to make multiplayer games, but at least you know how to now...

That was a real simple tutorial. Not much else to say, except, Please vote for me if you liked this!

Other 20 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to notify us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
Reason:

Your Vote!

What do you think of this article(in the Intermediate category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor See Voting Log

Other User Comments
1/6/2002 3:59:18 PM:Peter Schmitz
Actually, I'd recommend against using any port under 2000 or so, because of other services commonly running on those ports... If you want to be safe, and make sure that the most default portscans won't pick up your open port, chose a port over 5000.
Keep the Planet clean! If this comment was disrespectful, please report it:
Reason:

1/7/2002 3:43:37 AM:J Pack
Thanks for your short but to the point Tutorial. I gave you a 5 rating but I did have to make a small change to get it to work properly. I changed your line of code "Data = winsock1.getdata" to "Winsock1.GetData Data". It works fine now.
Reason:

1/7/2002 7:10:20 PM:dumbass
I had to do the same as the person above. To compile: change "Data = winsock1.getdata" to "Winsock1.GetData Data".
Reason:

1/16/2002 10:05:52 AM:d3
I thought this tutorial is short but sweet, it told me everything I needed to know :)
Reason:

1/16/2002 12:04:34 PM:d3
ok I thought this worked... I don`t know what it is but winsock wont work for me.... here is my code please can someone help!! Private Sub Form_Click() Port = InputBox(
Reason:

1/22/2002 1:12:07 PM:Cessna 182
Well this works fine other than that you must use: winsock1.GetData Data, vbString, bytesTotal because it will just give you a message box saying "???" if you dont
Reason:

1/22/2002 1:17:31 PM:Guato
I got everything to work, but all I get in the msgbox is a question mark for every two characters sent. Anyone know why?
Reason:

1/22/2002 1:19:03 PM:guato
haha, whoops, during my registration you answered my question before I posted it... erie...
Reason:

1/25/2002 1:23:34 AM:Dan Wold
To: d3 "ok I thought this worked... I don`t know what it is but winsock wont work for me.... here is my code please can someone help!! Private Sub Form_Click() Port = InputBox( " from what i Pieced together from your message, I beleive this is what you needed... PortBox = InputBox("Please enter the port.","Port Number") Winsock.RemotePort = PortBox If not feel free To email me!
Reason:

1/29/2002 12:05:45 PM:Maniac
Interesting tutorial. It all seems so easy now
Reason:

2/2/2002 10:07:27 PM:angelo
i've been at this winsock nonsense on and off for what seams like years now and i STILL haven't gotten the basics...so here's my latest problem...i have my program set up to simply MSGBOX me when i connect to it through IE on the designated port...i used Matt's code in listening, accepting RequestID, and DataArrival...however, i noticed in the accepting the RequestID it tells the winsock to close the connection: If wskMain.State <> sckClosed Then wskMain.Close wskMain.Accept requestID basically the program works the first time around and a messagebox pops up showing me the IE http header info...but then it won't work again...i'm thinking it's due to the fact i'm closing the connection w/ winsock, however the program won't work without closing the connection!?!?!? i'm stuck...should i relisten somewhere? if so i sure can't find the right spot to start relistening...PLEASE HELP!!! :)
Reason:

2/6/2002 6:43:39 PM:Bob
Hey, I'm trying to make a server that can have 2 clients connected at a time. What do I need to do it?
Reason:

2/23/2002 5:10:01 PM:Danny Weyand
I don't have an ocx of winsock and have been trying to use the api calls does anyone know how to determine the data that you received?
Reason:

3/6/2002 4:20:07 AM:Andrei Lisovoi (ALSI)
Nice tutorial! Very Basic though... Doesn't show how you could transfer files over the network, how to maintain more than 1 user... Lot's to do. 4 For effort though!
Reason:

3/6/2002 9:38:37 AM:Terry
Could not get the code to work (VB6, W2K sp2) What am I doing wrong?
Reason:

3/6/2002 1:38:06 PM:jb
Nice Simple & to the point. Dont forget to define the 'data' received as a string such as: Dim data as string. If you dont, you'll get the '??' question marks.
Reason:

3/13/2002 4:58:00 AM:Shadowhunter
I get a compile error: Syntax Error on the line "Data = Winsock1.GetData Data" anyone know how I can solve this?
Reason:

3/17/2002 6:42:58 PM:Billy
Great job now i have mastered the basics of Winsock
Reason:

3/29/2002 4:40:36 AM:Julio Montufar
Excellent, give him the highest rate 6
Reason:

3/29/2002 7:31:38 PM:bulut
hello and thank you for sharing i can get everything to work but one thing the ?'s marks show up. I tried what the other people said but MsgBox Data, vbString, bytesTotal does not work any suggestions
Reason:

3/29/2002 7:38:04 PM:bulut
oops i put it on the wrong line i got it now sorry
Reason:

3/31/2002 1:57:38 PM:Gaurav
Accurate and to the point....great work
Reason:

4/13/2002 11:08:59 AM:wah_tak
Cool tutorial! now i'm off to my first net-game!!!
Reason:

4/15/2002 8:19:55 PM:Mystins
Nice tutorial. angelo, you have to use 2 winsock controls (you could use one, but I prefer order) 1 to always listen, never close it. The 2nd one needs to be an array. Do something like this Public Variables.. Dim Total as long if total = 0 then if arrayedwinsock(0).state = sckclosed then arrayedwinsock(0).close else arrayedwi nsock(0).accept total = total + 1 load arrayedwinsock(total) arrayedwinsock(to tal).accept Requestid end if arrayedwinsock is the winsock with the array. The winsock controlling all of this is the normal, no array, winsock control. .......*looks at his text* ............. ok you can just email me at Mystinsuo@yahoo.com or icq 32363881 and I can help you. There's not enough room here to explain everything I need to explain. Now if I could only get my chatroom to work using microsofts extremely-slow-data-processing ocx...
Reason:

4/15/2002 8:22:34 PM:Mystins
Nice example above on winsock, I remember using it a while back. erm.. Darn. I didn't remember that this thing reads coding ;) Just email me at Mystinsuo@yahoo.com (BIG SUBJECT) and I'll give you some help. But remember, if your going to email, make sure you remember you can't walk before you crawl.
Reason:

4/17/2002 2:37:40 PM:Tatiane Ferrari
How we could send the .XML file using Winsock ?? Someone may answer me ? Winsock.senddata
Reason:

4/17/2002 2:39:44 PM:Tati Ferrari
Someone could help me?? How we may send an XML file using winsock ? winsock.senddata
Reason:

5/2/2002 4:35:10 PM:FosSiL
yo great tutorial. I need something that will connect to a server and send it data from a game like the playername they are using.
Reason:

5/6/2002 5:05:36 PM:Nick Fantis
Hey, can you guys tell me if there is any way to keep my IP from changing every time I log onto the internet? Thanks.
Reason:

5/10/2002 1:00:56 PM:Alex
I cant seem to make it work. 1)The host n port variable are not declare.So i declare it as string. 2)And i also cant find Private Sub Winsock1_RecieveData(ByVal data As Long) Can anyone help me by senting me a copy of this tutorial. Thanks. wodeming@hotmail.com
Reason:

5/14/2002 10:54:27 AM:jore
puyeng man
Reason:

5/30/2002 2:07:51 PM:10x man
u really halped me but i had to read the commants for understading and for geting it work
Reason:

6/17/2002 2:32:49 PM:underlaget
A question :: Is there a code for Something like this: --------------------------------- ------ If "User" Connected Then label1.caption = "User Is Connected" ---------------------------- ----------- This is like a beginning for my multiplayer game im developing ... i also have another question ... Here's what im planning to do : ------------------------------------- --- Lets say the game is an easy RPG kind and you get to choose between 4 different characters .... im gonna use something like this :: ------------------------------------ --- Every "player" gets too choose 1 option between the 4 chars .. but how do i tell the others that that option (character) is taken .. like .. option1.enabled = False ... but how i tell the other guys program's aswell ?? Understand what i mean ?? If you only use option1.enabled = false then only that guy's program will change .. and not the others ... Im thankful for any answer i will get to theese 2 questiongs !! // Thnx
Reason:

6/18/2002 11:52:40 AM:Dezzy
Short and sweet tutorial. How can I send a file to a remote computer and get the remote computer to start a batch file.
Reason:

6/19/2002 5:05:14 AM:Nagesh
hi, i tried the code after placing winsock control on my form1 with lil changes, Private Sub Winsock1_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long) Winsock1.GetData Data, vbString, bytesTotal MsgBox Data End Sub ---As u can see i tried the supported event winsock1_dataarrival instead of the suggested unsupported event recievedata... ---when i run the above code and click on connect and feed my local ip 192.168.1.216 and port as 5010 and click on send and feed the text as "hi" I GET THE RUNTIME ERROR 40006 "Wrong Protocol or connection state for the requested transaction or request" and i click on debug to find the debugger point the code line "Winsock1.SendData Text" help me plz. regards, nags
Reason:

6/20/2002 3:52:56 PM:gavros tou kerata
I dont know nothing about winsock. If you can give me some basic information.How to write ip adress(i know mine)but i dont know about ports etc. iwant to send a message to my self with winsock.please help
Reason:

6/21/2002 1:25:52 AM:greg
nice tutorial, basic as said.. but nice.
Reason:

6/28/2002 1:27:41 AM:Matt
For me, I had trouble with my client application because my server was always on a different IP address each time I logged onto the internet. So I wrote code on the server app to write to a CGI script on my webpage. This CGI script stores the IP my server uses each time I load it up. Then the client uses an HTTP protocol to retrieve this IP address stores on the web. It works great. Now I only have to work on having more than one client connected at once. :-)
Reason:

6/30/2002 1:41:42 AM:
This is my code Private Sub Command1_Click() Winsock1.Connect Text1.Text, 2002 End Sub Private Sub Command2_Click() Winsock1.LocalPort = 2002 Winsock1.Listen End Sub Private Sub Command3_Click() Winsock1.SendData Text2.Text End Sub Private Sub Command4_Click() Winsock1.Close End Sub Private Sub Winsock1_ConnectionRequest(ByVal requestID As Long) If Winsock1.State <> sckclose Then Winsock1.Close Winsock1.Accept requestID End Sub Private Sub Winsock1_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long) Winsock1.GetData adata MsgBox adata End Sub Private Sub Winsock1_Error(ByVal Number As Integer, Description As String, ByVal Scode As Long, ByVal Source As String, ByVal HelpFile As String, ByVal HelpContext As Long, CancelDisplay As Boolean) MsgBox "Error" End Sub
Reason:

7/3/2002 12:50:53 AM:raghuraja
good
Reason:

7/16/2002 12:43:44 PM:JOSHUA STEWARD
THIS WAS JUST WHAT I NEEDED. THAT WINSOCK IS CONFUSING IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.
Reason:

7/31/2002 1:15:14 PM:DrDre
uhh i read everyone and cant find my problem, when it tries to listen to the port i get runtime error 2. WHAT IS WRONG!!! Private Sub Command1_Click() Dim port port = InputBox(
Reason:

7/31/2002 1:16:38 PM:DrDre
InputBox("What port do you want to host on?") Winsock1.LocalPort = port Winsock1.Listen End Sub
Reason:

8/11/2002 5:48:55 AM:jozo
the code is neat, but i have problems compiling it. Something lik argument not optional in the Data=winsock1.Getdata line When i click winsock icon i get only this Winsock_error sub. No sign of recieve data or connection request. Am i missing something here? thanks here what is on my winsock icon: Private Sub Winsock1_Error(ByVal Number As Integer, Description As String, ByVal Scode As Long, ByVal Source As String, ByVal HelpFile As String, ByVal HelpContext As Long, CancelDisplay As Boolean) End Sub
Reason:

8/20/2002 10:37:46 AM:Kurt
Great Tutorial, definately helped alot!
Reason:

8/23/2002 12:09:33 PM:skad0g
it says "Wrong Protocol or Connection State"
Reason:

9/4/2002 12:29:21 PM:
Wow, that's a great tutorial, for the people that get question marks and blank boxes, you must remember to place it in the Winsock1_DataArrival, like this: Private Sub Winsock1_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long) Winsock1.GetData Data MsgBox Data End Sub
Reason:

9/5/2002 12:18:43 PM:
Good job! I used to be stuck using a UDP connection. Now TCP is easy to use! Thanks!
Reason:

9/7/2002 11:49:23 AM:Wouter Lievens
Not explained badly, but placing it in intermediate category is lame. Stuff that would belong in intermediate is a full multi user system with automatic timeouts and pinging. Stuff that would belong in Advanced would be a full PeerToPeer application that does graph searching for the most efficient connection and all that. So if you would have put this in Beginner I would have given 3 or 4. In Intermediate it deserves only 1.
Reason:

9/7/2002 11:59:31 AM:Matt Carpenter
Isn't the level stuff for the CODER not the CODE? Notice when you post the code, next to the 'expert' radio button, it says ( 1+ years) That would be for the coder :-/
Reason:

9/7/2002 10:43:37 PM:Jeremiah Ng
Very easy to understand winsock control do you have any tutorial as simple as this and has multi client connections?? or any other winsock server and client tutorial??? Please help me thankz.... email me...
Reason:

10/13/2002 6:20:38 PM:
OK, first. I really appreciate your taking the time to write this down and try to help those of us who don't know these basics. I did learn from you and that counts. Not to be mean or to sound ungreatful, but I wish you would have taken just a bit more time to try to ensure that your code needed no modification. That would have saved me a lot of time from having to delve through the responses to locate the corrections. No biggie though. I learned a lot and you as well as those who offered additional help via their comments have my gratitude. Thanks.
Reason:

10/23/2002 8:35:34 AM:Logix
very nice
Reason:

11/8/2002 7:10:41 PM:Patabugen
Thank you so much for being simple. Ive been trying 2 learn Winsock for ages but all i have found is "Advanced Winsock" and "Multi User Chats" nothing which just tells me how it works :) Thanx again! (and thanks to everyone who posted about that mindor error!)
Reason:

11/15/2002 11:58:22 AM:
I compare with some users, that there was some problems, but I've solved it with a little help of solutions already existing here ;P really simple and powerful. And, I'm soryy I don't believe You're really 13;) . Actually I'm 14 :D
Reason:

12/2/2002 9:42:24 AM:
Thanx. This code realy helped me.
Reason:

12/18/2002 12:41:28 AM:
gave me a nice hint then i found out what to do... might be missing a few things :) i made a chat program and got it to work after a few hours of messing around
Reason:

12/21/2002 10:14:02 AM:Ricky Casavecchia
i think there is something wrong with my winsock thing but when ever i run the program and try to host it says error so i click debug and it hilights winsock1.listen it does this everytime i use winsock does anyone know whats wrong?
Reason:

12/27/2002 8:08:14 AM:Marvin Hufford
Your code does not work because the command, if winsock1.state <> sckclosed then winsock1.close, always closes the winsock. I agree with Mystins in that you need an array for the winsock in the host (not the client) so that there is one element of the array (an instance) for listening and one element for each client. Suggestion: Put a 0 for the Index in the property menu. Then, your code for the host could include, Winsock(0).localport = Port, and Winsock(0).Listen. Also add, Load winsock(1), before the line: winsock(1).accept RequestID. Make other code changes so the host winsock is winsock(num) (depending on the winsock caption) and the client winsock remains as winsock1.
Reason:

12/28/2002 1:41:45 AM:
supoose if in client server-application client is under proxy. then how can client connect to server through proxy..
Reason:

1/11/2003 6:59:13 PM:
everytime i try to put this all together it works but when i run it and goto connect to my self (after doing the listen on a diffrent one) i get a runtime error 13 type mismatch and im putting in 127.0.0.1 and when i put in 127001 it works but crashes after wards ... whats wrong? i did everything right
Reason:

2/8/2003 4:58:03 AM:
ok my problem is simple im making a program using upto to 10 winsocks i get them all to logon but when i try to send any data it causes a protocol errori use a diff port for aech winsock so if you know what im doing wrong or if i need to index the winsocks please email me with your idea .....ur advice was simple to the point and easy to understand although some changes were needed to make ur example work i give u a 6 but keep up the good work :)
Reason:

2/22/2003 10:43:35 PM:
Hi I was wondering if there is any tutorials anywhere on how to create a chat or media desktop program like
Reason:

3/18/2003 11:33:35 PM:
I dont mean to be a bad guy, but im bein hounest. this tutorail is wrong. i dont no why but it is. please if any one knows how to teach a good way to make a game using winsock. e-mail me
Reason:

3/19/2003 12:20:29 AM:Matt Carpenter
Note to all: Im sorry about the error in this code that everybody's been complaining about. I dumped visual basic a long time ago and I had forgotten all about this article until I started recieving emails notifing me about the comments. I'll attempt to change this code right now, but those who say that they can't get it to work should've read through the comments because I belive somewhere in there I posted a fix.
Reason:

3/22/2003 9:19:57 AM:
Nice,.. had to define data, host, port as string to make it work. Np's otherwise
Reason:

4/8/2003 10:34:51 PM:
DUDE THIS TUTORIAL ROCKS! i have tried to learn winsock by reading through source but it was all too complicated- this tutorial is great! i give u a 10/10
Reason:

4/16/2003 6:06:33 AM:Ali Damji
Great tutorial......easy to understand.
Reason:

4/20/2003 4:30:51 PM:
i cant add the winsock control to my project what should i do when i try i get this error licence information for componet not found or something like that how can i fix this??????
Reason:

5/10/2003 12:25:10 AM:Teena417
plz how can i connect many people using winsock.... Please send me a example.... With Love And Prayer Teena417@yahoo.com
Reason:

6/5/2003 8:55:58 AM:
I like the mannor of teaching applied here. However I get a run time error. It's due to the fact that 'winsock1_RecieveData' Doesnt exist in my 6.0 version. the closest thing that was there was 'winsock1_DataArrivel'. This disapointed me. :(
Reason:

6/5/2003 9:28:47 AM:
Hummm. I ended that poorly. I like the concept, and I'm not trying to criticize. But merely offer constructive feedback. You should (if you don't) make sure to check and follow up with these posts. If you're going to start such an endevor, you must follow through. However. Don't let negitive posts discourage you from continuing in your quest. Kevin Innovation Dynamics
Reason:

6/11/2003 1:10:45 AM:
how do i add a port to the form?
Reason:

6/21/2003 8:29:43 AM:
great tutorial, straight to the point. Well done.
Reason:

Add Your Feedback!
Note:Not only will your feedback be posted, but an email will be sent to the code's author in your name.

NOTICE: The author of this article has been kind enough to share it with you.  If you have a criticism, please state it politely or it will be deleted.

For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here.

Name:
Comment:

Categories | Articles and Tutorials | Advanced Search | Recommended Reading | Upload | Newest Code | Code of the Month | Code of the Day | All Time Hall of Fame | Coding Contest | Search for a job | Post a Job | Ask a Pro Discussion Forum | Live Chat | Feedback | Customize | Visual Basic Home | Site Home | Other Sites | About the Site | Feedback | Link to the Site | Awards | Advertising | Privacy

Copyright© 1997 by Exhedra Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  By using this site you agree to its Terms and Conditions.  Planet Source Code (tm) and the phrase "Dream It. Code It" (tm) are trademarks of Exhedra Solutions, Inc.